May is here! It has almost been a complete year since I graduated from college. I cannot believe that. I’ve traveled so much, seen so much, experienced so much… I think I can definitely say that I’m rich in life despite barely paying my bills on time. I think back to when I turned down a full-time 9-5 salary job, and although the money would have been nice, I’m glad I got to go exploring without worrying about losing my way.
I’ve received updates from Meg on her Speak Up tour. She says it’s been awesome and feels that the experience has been life changing for nearly everyone involved. I wish I could have been there, hopefully next time!
With that being said, I’m here to answer the question everyone is asking: Where Is Jade?
Well, right now I’m in Utah. I’m spending time with my family, but, woah woah, I’m not about to put my carry-on away just yet. Just around the corner is another trip. Perhaps I’m celebrating surviving the first year after college or maybe it’s just the need to cross the border, but I’m stepping out of the country come June. And yes, this is the trip to Costa Rica I’ve spoken about. I’ll be doing some volunteering/work-exchange to make the trip affordable for a person like me, and I couldn’t be happier about that.
I actually prefer to be a “behind-the-scenes” person when it comes to, well, anything. If there’s a concert, I want to be backstage helping out. If there’s a triathlon, I want to be helping the runners stay hydrated during their runs. If it’s a restaurant, I want to be scooping plates up off of dirty tables when the bussing team is understaffed. I realize that’s where I feel most at home. Actually, whenever I’m the customer or person on the outside, I have found myself never quite content. So, I guess that’s a good thing to know about myself.
Back to Costa Rica… I’m already signed up for yoga classes, surf classes, horseback riding, and a bunch more. But, the best part about this entire trip (yes, I actually already know what that is) is that my partner in crime, Misty, is coming with me!
With our combined superpowers, Costa Rica is going to have the time of its life! Many people think we’re twins when we walk around town together. We’re the kind of duo that just works. We’re fun-loving, adventurous girls, and I can’t wait to take her outside of the country to show her what’s out there (heck, I don’t even know what’s out there either! Isn't that spectacular?). We will be helping out at The Yoga Farm all of June. Check them out. It’s a pretty awesome program that has different options to accommodate your stay according to your budget. Hang tight after June to find out what we think about it :)
This all being said, after Costa Rica, I think I will unpack my carry-on once I return. I’m looking to try and find a city/town I would like to live in for a year or so - and take a breather from this vagabond lifestyle I’ve led. Trying to figure out where I want to live has been an interesting rabbit-hole of an activity on the internet. I wanted to reach out to all of my readers and ask you all for suggestions. Here’s what info I can give you to help me out:
- After a winter in New York, I’m looking for a place with MILD winters. And when I say Mild, I mean it.
- I’ve done New York/San Francisco/Los Angeles and as much time as I had fun in the few months that I stayed in each city, I learned one thing: I’m not a city girl. Traveling-wise, I love cities, but if I’m planning on staying for longer than a few months… no way, Jose.
- My budget is…Well, after Costa Rica, my piggy bank will be empty. You may think I’m exaggerating, but I’m really not. So somewhere that doesn’t charge an arm and a leg for gas/rent/milk would be wonderful. If it’s an awesome place, I’d be willing to pay an arm though!
- I’m super active. Running, walking, Hiking are probably my favorite things to do - ever. I love the outdoors.
- I’m 22 and single. I want a place where I can hang with peeps on the same boat.
- What I do love about big cities is the great food and music scenes they offer - I dislike the hustle and bustle of cities.
- Also, I don’t drink or smoke, so bar/club scene isn’t really my thing.
- And sports don’t really make sense to me at all unless it’s a spontaneous game of tag that has sprung up randomly in a field of grass with friends :)
I’ve been given a lot of places to look at. If you want to “second” any of these suggestions in the comment box below, please do! If you’d like to offer another place to look into, please feel free to do so as well. You guys know me better than most, so your insight will really help out! I’d really appreciate it!
- Carpinteria/Summerland, CA (It’s warm & relaxed)
- Denver, CO (Heard it’s not as cold as most think. Also heard it’s a city with a town feel)
- Boulder, CO (Heard it’s fun, small, beautiful)
- San Diego, CA (Bigger but relaxed. Warm!)
- Portland, OR (Not sure about the rain here…)
- Austin, TX (It’s Texas, which makes me hesitant.)
- Ashville, NC (Heard great things, but it’s so far away from the west coast.)
- Flagstaff, AZ (Eh… Someone suggested it and I have no reason to rule it out yet.)
- Tempe, AZ (Heard great things about this area. It’s warm, relaxed, and cheap with a young crowd.)
- Boise, ID (Someone told me it is not cold here… They also said it’s a hidden gem.)
- Minneapolis, MN (OK, everyone told me it’s freezing. But a lot of people said it sounds like it would fit me really well, especially as a writer.)
- Salt Lake City, UT (Winters are NOT mild, but it's close to home and more diverse and poppin than the small town I grew up in. Also, I hear it's super cheap up there!)
Alright - that’s all I have for now! I can’t wait to read your comments :) Thanks for all of your help and support!